HazTek is honored to announce that the Construction Users Roundtable (CURT) has selected Merck & Co.’s “NEUS Office Portfolio of Projects” as winner of a 2016 Owner Safety Award at the 2016 Construction Industry Safety Excellence (CISE) Constructor Awards! Pictured here with the prestigious award is Bruce Henderson, Managing Partner of HazTek Safety Management (at left) and Claudio Campanella, Associate Director for Merck & Co.
Many congratulations go out to the Merck Corporate Headquarters in Kenilworth, New Jersey where they performed such extensive building and grounds improvements as cafeteria renovation, shell space demolition, Health Services renovations, lower level demolition, and a garage project that, all totaled, required over 12 months to complete.
HazTek is proud to have aligned with Merck to assist in their safety efforts and pleased that all of the work was completed without any OSHA Recordable incidents over the 114,260 hours worked. Some of the innovative safety practices included:
- Personal Commitments to Safety, written and posted by each member of the project team.
- Hearts and Minds Behavioral Training modules, used in meetings held with the CM and Contractor Representatives.
- Site Program Management, utilized and included a wellness program, weekly logistics meetings to detail updates, and safety topic discussions in tier meetings to review ongoing safety issues.
- 5S program of Clean Build used from the start of each project and maintained a dedicated staff working on the organization of laydown spaces and housekeeping.
- Mentoring Program – All Supervisors and some Journeymen were given mentorship training and were designated as mentors to new employees on site.
- A commitment to report all safety incidents and to tap in when someone saw an unsafe act or unsafe condition was encouraged and rewarded.
- Weekly Safety Tours, organized with persons from outside the project to give a fresh set of eyes looking at the project’s safety.
CURT’s Construction Industry Safety Excellence (CISE) Constructor Awards were developed to recognize commendable safety management by owner member companies of CURT that have most effectively implemented the recommendations of the Construction Users Roundtable R-807, CURT Construction Owners’ Safety Blueprint, and other CURT user practices. The awards are conferred upon the companies who can demonstrate exemplary programs of safety management that go beyond merely adopting a safety program. The programs must demonstrate a serious owner’s management commitment and collaborative involvement to make the program work.
The objectives of the awards are to focus attention on improving construction safety; recognize stellar performers; increase understanding and implementation of CURT publications; publicize model owner safety programs; and convey to the construction industry CURT's full support of owner involvement in safety management.
Credit to: The Construction Users Roundtable